Thursday, May 31, 2007

Your name please..?

Ok, I have a problem. A serious problem. And sometimes, it can make me very uncomfortable. I do not know if this is a universal problem or whether it affects very few people like yours truly.
I have, many times, discussed with myself the cause of this problem. And have wondered whether it is my fault or the fault of external forces like rapid growth of population!

I call this problem name-nesia. Ok, I do not know if there is any other name for this problem, and if there is, I don’t think I’d remember it anyway. And yes, you guessed it right. My problem is, forgetting names!!
Look, i can remember faces, I have absolutely no problem with that. I can recall faces that I have seen when i was only five! But you ask me their names and I go blank! Seriously, I don’t think I have grown so old that I tend to forget things like most people in their old age do. I don’t yet have grey hair, tough I sometimes wonder what my world will be when it first appears, but that is a different problem altogether.

Coming back to name-nesia, have u ever been introduced to a person and in the process of your conversation with him have you forgotten his name? Do u spot someone on the road and remember her as your science club mate ummm…. Soniya, Ruth…. What’s her name??? (Soniya and Ruth don’t even sound like each other, they probably don’t come from the same religion either - this means you have reached the higher levels of the problem).

But nope, I don’t blame you. There are tens of thousands of names in this world and your poor brain will have to grapple with the sea of names floating around in your head and churn out the one name that holds good for the person in front of you. I’d truly understand if you’d forget my name!! (and hope this is mutual!!)
Anyway, here’s something that happened to me once when I was in college. There was this junior, a very friendly, charming girl who’d always make it a point to come and speak to me whenever she’d spot me in the campus. Yes, in the beginning I did ask her name (she already knew mine – I was famous in college, u see!!), but thanks to name-nesia after the second meeting (what did u say your name was? Oh yes, right, sorry, I forgot), she was for me, the junior-who’d-always –speak-to–me-whenever-she’d-spot–me-in-the campus. Hey, I liked the girl. We even used to exchange anecdotes from our classes and have also had lunch together a couple of times in the college canteen. But you tell me, after all this, wouldn’t it be a wee bit late to ask her name again!?!?

So once it so happened that I was with my friend (who’s name I know perfectly well, even now, thank you very much) at a mall and the junior (I feel really guilty calling her that but I still don’t know her name) happened to come there. As usual she beamed and greeted me, ‘Hi Aparna, how are you?' And as usual I replied, 'Hey, I’m good, how about you?’ ‘I’m good too’, she answered and looked at my friend, expecting an introduction. ‘Hey meet my friend, Reshma’, I told her. ‘And Reshma, this is..’ Damn! What do I call her? My junior? Now wouldn't that look snobbish? But what else do I call her??
I suddenly wished I was Prof D’Costa who’d have taken the junior’s attendence hundreds of time. I wished I had refused my friend’s offer to go shopping together. I wished a fire would break out somewhere and her attention would be diverted and I could grab my friend’s hand and run outta there. I wished I had remembered her name!!
‘Smitha’, the junior beamed looking at my friend.
Thank God!! ‘Yes, Smitha, she’s my junior, and friend ofcourse’, I laughed nervously. But Smitha didn’t notice and continued talking to Reshma. Whew!!!

Ok, I have a confession. I’m not really sure if her name is Smitha. I kinda remember that’s what she said. Anyway, after this incident I hardly met her owing to our exams and then we lost touch. But I do remember her as a very sweet girl who always had a smile ready for me. And like Spearson…uh…. Shake-ear… uh.. Shakespeare would say, ‘What’s in a name??’!!

16 Comments:

Blogger Enigma said...

Welcome back lady!

And tat was a neat come back :)
Hey, i too suffer from name-nesia (as u term it) and i knw, it can get real embarrassing at times... i cant connect a face and a name :D

hopefully one day u wont forget mine ;)

:)
Cheeku

6/05/2007 12:51 AM  
Blogger Melody said...

omg!!!!! SHE'S BAAAACCKKKKKK!!!!! And almost a year later too!!!!!!!!!

Excuse me while I go pinch myself to see if I'm dreaming....

6/05/2007 4:29 AM  
Blogger Aparna S Mallya said...

@cheeku,

babe, i'd forget my name before i forget yrs!


@mel

lol, yep, me back !!!

6/05/2007 8:57 AM  
Blogger Harsha said...

Dare you forget my name girl.... ;)

btw, that happens to me loads of times. Infact there was this friend in MIT, he used to come in the same bus from Mulki and we used to chat and chat... i'd always forget his name... then i'd borrow his notes and check his name... despite that i'd forget it everyday... it took me almost an year i think to get his name right.... and now i am again trying to remember his name... and i cant remember. I can see his face but still cant remember his name... i think i will let him be the-konk-guy-from-mulki for a while. You know u're not alone in name-nesia :)

6/05/2007 10:54 PM  
Blogger phatichar said...

hahaha...this brought back memories of a person whose name I still don't know, hehehe. Read this.

You've a great blog! Keep it coming. Oh btw, came here through Hallucination's blog. :)

6/06/2007 10:22 PM  
Blogger Aparna S Mallya said...

@ harsha
heehee! hope he reads this!

@phatichar

thnx!!! will surely read yrs!

n yr post is very well written.

6/06/2007 11:04 PM  
Blogger phatichar said...

harsha: Ah...now I see how this triggered the conf. ;) I didn't notice you'd commented here as well. :)

6/07/2007 2:19 AM  
Blogger Deepak said...

Way to come back!! :)

It seems name-nesia is something which everyone suffers from. Anyway, to complement that, I have almost eidetic memory of people's faces and where I met them before. So much so that I have a knack of embarrassing people!

6/09/2007 11:33 AM  
Blogger Aparna S Mallya said...

thnx deepak :).

6/13/2007 9:53 PM  
Blogger dev said...

hey this name-nesia stuff.. its kinds a deja-vu.! happens a lot at social meetings.. mariages the most.. .hello umm er.. mr. uncle.. or .the one-who-must-not-named.! lolz.. !

6/27/2007 12:18 PM  
Blogger IdeaSmith said...

LOL...as a fellow sufferer of name-esia, I sympahtize! Unfortunately I suffer face-esia as well and once I met this girl who started an animated conversation with me and I couldn't place her at all. Then she stopped and said, "You don't remember me, do you? Kya yaar, this is the third time!!!" Urrgghh...wanted the earth to swallow me.

Tip: Try asking "How do you spell your name?" Doesn't work though if they're called something like Reena or Amit.

8/28/2007 10:02 PM  
Blogger lankythoughts said...

My name-nesia hiding trickstyle:
"Whats your full name?"
"My name is Sumanth"
"Of course I know that..." (optionally you can add"dumbo!!". Use your reasoning and common-sense) "... you have a surname? Initials?"
"Oh My name is Sumanth Kumar"

Job done.


By the wayt.. I am missing your blog.. what happened!

1/20/2008 10:44 AM  
Blogger FH said...

Similar problem here too, can't remember names or streets when I am driving, recently got myself a GPS hoping to learn how to operate it! :P

8/14/2009 4:01 AM  
Blogger Padhu Sankar said...

I too have the same problem .You have a nice space.
http://padhuskitchen.blogspot.com/

3/22/2010 9:31 AM  
Blogger Lorraine said...

Funny story! You are not alone; I have had the same problem many times, but then someone told me to try repeating their name when they introduce themselves, and it really works..so now when I meet someone, they think I am nuts because I say their name about five times within the first few minutes of meeting them. Probably do not have to remember; they will try not to talk to me again. LOL.

4/20/2010 4:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Are you sure Aparna, this "Smita" friend of yours is not reading your blog and commenting on it too, without you realizing?

8/26/2010 3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home