Sunday, February 12, 2006

Spit Spat

You might have blasted a stranger before. I did just that today. Yes, I blasted a stranger.

I was standing near the bus stop on the busy Sampige road waiting for my husband to pick me up. I was looking around at people shopping, walking dogs and was generally passing my time. I also noticed a man sitting by a shop with his head buried in a newspaper. Suddenly the man stood up. He walked towards the road. He spat. A dirty spat. Right on the road. He went back and nonchalantly continued reading the newspaper, like he just drank water and came back.

Of course I was angry. Now, there were two things I could do.
1. I could ignore the whole thing.
2. I could take action.

If I'd opt for the first one, I'd lose the opportunity of blasting someone :). If I'd take action, two things could happen.
1. He'd yell back at me, create a scene and his friends around could join in.
2. He'd comply and I'd feel great about what I did.

I decided to do the latter. The fact that he was thin and possibly couldn't do much harm helped a great deal. Ofcourse, looks can be deceptive, but I decided to take a chance.


I walked towards him. I stood with my arms crossed and looked at him reproachfully. And before I knew it, strings of broken kannada flew out of my mouth in a rage. I almost giggled as i was speaking because I was invariably stammering for the right kannada words. To make matters worse for me the poor man feebly muttered, 'yes sir, sorry sir' Sir??. Still with a straight face (and with the broken language) I went about explaining how people like him spoil the streets by indulging in these kind of dirty actions. Believe me, I was more relieved than him when I spotted my husband a few yards away! I got into the car with the same straight face and the same angry look. Once I shut the door with a bang, I grinned a wide grin. Not because of my broken vernacular. But because I was proud of what i just did!


My sincere request to all you guys and gals. Next time u see a stranger spit, blast the hell outta him. Let's make our country a cleaner place to live in :).

25 Comments:

Blogger Prasad said...

Thats like a good girl...

2/12/2006 9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good girl, indeed! Could you post your photograph on the Net? I'll look around carefully to make sure you are not around next time I spit on the road...

2/12/2006 9:28 PM  
Blogger Aparna S Mallya said...

Could u please tell me yr name and post yr photograph as well? I'll make sure I'll yell at u anyway.

2/12/2006 9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's use the name "Shankar". Do a "Google Images" search to get a likeness.

2/12/2006 9:37 PM  
Blogger Aparna S Mallya said...

Yeah, right! And I'm the Queen of England.

2/12/2006 9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

England, huh? Kailas, I thought was more like it...

2/12/2006 9:40 PM  
Blogger Aparna S Mallya said...

ok, Mr.'Shankar', don't litter my comments section now. I want to keep it clean :p


p.s: wait till u get home, hubby darling!

2/12/2006 9:44 PM  
Blogger Vinayak said...

two thumbs up :)

2/12/2006 9:57 PM  
Blogger Aparna S Mallya said...

Thnx, Kini. Like Rang De.. says,


is par bhi na khaule jo vo khoon nahi vo paani hai
jo desh ke kaam na aa saki, bekaar vo jawani hai

What say?

Little drops of water make a mighty ocean.

2/12/2006 10:08 PM  
Blogger Aparna S Mallya said...

and thnx Prasad :)

2/12/2006 10:16 PM  
Blogger Dev said...

:D
reminds me of the time i blasted a quizmaster on stage in front of an entire audience.
and i used much stronger words tho. :)

2/13/2006 9:22 PM  
Blogger Harsha said...

Try posting ur photo....
Sankar seems desperate to have a look at u

Harsha
www.bevharsha.blogspot.com

2/14/2006 4:13 AM  
Blogger Aparna S Mallya said...

He looks at me everyday and every night. He's my husband. 'Shankar' was just to confuse me.

2/14/2006 8:26 AM  
Blogger dharmu said...

um...just noted that our owner saab ha got to hardcore marketing of his blog in Apy's blog?
too much

2/14/2006 6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, didn't 'blast' her, but was faced with the same situation when the (seemingly decent) lady in a train compartment with me just dropped the wrapping of the food she just finished eating on the floor.

Kinda wondered whether to be a B or not, then thought I should. Nicely told her to pick it up & wonders of wonders she did.

"Cleaning Mumbai, one person at a time"

Let's hope your spitter & my wrapper-thrower don't litter anymore post our interference!

2/15/2006 9:42 AM  
Blogger Aparna S Mallya said...

@Dharmu: u bet he is! lol.

@Dev: hey did u blast him coz his questions were tuff?;)

@Melody: nice to know she picked it up. U know, sometimes the ppl who do wrong know they r wrong. Till someone points it to them they try n get away with it.

2/15/2006 8:27 PM  
Blogger seeker said...

A pat on the back, and a humble request to improve your kannada!! Sure does help fight many such thin men with gallons of spittle in their mouths and minds!! :-|

2/16/2006 10:30 PM  
Blogger Shruthi said...

Attagirl! That's too good!! :) For a few months, I was in the blast-strangers mode :) Then somehow i stopped :( Now I think I'll start doing it again ;)

2/17/2006 8:40 PM  
Blogger Aparna S Mallya said...

@ prasil
thnx. will learn kannada, tamil, malyalam etc etc, but plz plz spare me the gruesome details !!! :)

@ shruti
thnx shruti.
Someone told me I shud stand on different streets everyday and take care of spitting strangers. Looks like I can pull u along for help ;)

2/17/2006 10:37 PM  
Blogger seeker said...

Hello!! I was jus' gettin' started ;-)

I wonder if you could sit thru a session on 34 different varities of green gobbed phlegmatic spittles and the likes!! *grin*

2/20/2006 12:40 AM  
Blogger Aparna S Mallya said...

No. :)

2/20/2006 2:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You better not go near the autorickshaws.

2/25/2006 7:02 PM  
Blogger Madhooo said...

That was a kool act. But many a times, wehn we point this out to the person, he/she refuses to acknowledge. But I guess it should not stop us from being responsible citizens.:)

2/27/2006 11:45 PM  
Blogger Raj said...

Thats great!

Just yesterday I was walking thru the sivajinagar bus stop to go to the temple when two villagers(?!) - a man and a woman - decided to spit exactly where I was going to step 2 secs later. I looked at them in anger, and changed my path. I couldn't say anything bcos I don't speak Kannada :(

3/29/2006 1:00 AM  
Blogger Aparna S Mallya said...

@raj
hey u shud try hindi, then. doesn't matter if they don't understand. as long as yr gestures supplement yr words :)

3/29/2006 1:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home