Sunday, March 12, 2006

A Record Made. A Record Broken.

All eyes were on Mark Boucher as Bret Lee flung at him that speeding ball which could retain or break the Aussie record. Interestingly, the record was made just a few hours back and not decades or centuries ago when the passion for cricket was just as intense. With determination writ largely on his face, Boucher attacked the ball with style and force to script another awesome record on the very ground, on the very same day.

Sadly, I wasn’t following the match run to run. I first came to know of the humongous total that the Aussies assimilated, through AajTak, which was flashing it as ‘Breaking News’. I, for one, could only gape at the ‘434’ which, I later realised, did not seem ‘surreal’ considering it was the Aussies who garnered it. Poor South Africans, I mused.
Hoping to catch some kind of action I fervently changed to the sports channel only to find that the lunch break was going on.

We had rented a DVD yesterday and so, after the usual Sunday nap, we (unknowingly) watched another 'inspiration' of a ripoff, ‘Out of Time’. (I thought of renting the DVD since it sounded like the title of my blog. Lol). The hindi ‘version’, btw, is ‘Zeher’ in which Emraan Hashmi convincingly replaces Denzel Washington as the smitten chief of police.

The moment we finished watching the movie, I suddenly remembered the match. Expecting to see a beaming Ricky Ponting exulting over his ‘Man of the Match’ award, I reverted to the sports channel. And what do I see! SA needs six runs out of five balls with two wickets in hand! OHMIGOSH, I almost screamed. For a full half minute I couldn’t get myself to close my mouth!

It was Bret Lee’s over. Lee sure looked thinner and desperate. Tension was mounting in the Aussie and SA spine. Lee secured the ninth wicket. Anything could happen. Any damn thing could happen.
Boucher faced Lee’s penultimate ball. The crowd was watching with bated breath. And the rest, as they say, is history.

This got me thinking. Even the invincible are vulnerable. What say?

7 Comments:

Blogger Harsha said...

Even I thought SA were going to crash out at one point since they needed close 9 rpo all the time. They did it all through the innings and won it.

Just goes to prove one thing..

Impossible is Nothing !!!

3/13/2006 12:33 AM  
Blogger Vinayak said...

Aah....Cricket, that beautiful game

3/13/2006 2:45 AM  
Blogger dev said...

the proteas have redefined the word impossible..! really unbelieveable..

3/13/2006 3:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

850 odd runs scored in a single day's match. Whither art we heading folks? :O

3/13/2006 9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The one man whom I felt really sorry for was Mick Lewis. I would love him to spring back with stellar performances in the future... i.e. if he is ever selected.

3/14/2006 8:20 AM  
Blogger Dev said...

Makhaya Ntini rules! (for that last single)

3/15/2006 12:09 AM  
Blogger zoxcleb said...

saw the last 25 overs of SA innings.. mind blowing stuff...

and when Gibbs got out, thought it was all over..

but Good ol' Boucher saved their day!

3/19/2006 4:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home