Wednesday, May 10, 2006

I Know It All

It was raining last evening as I was walking towards Margosa road to draw some money from the ATM. I saw people huddling under trees and shops to protect themselves from the rain. There was this particular family that intrigued me. Much as they were intrigued by a room with glass doors where people went in and came out either with a slip of paper or with real money.
There were a couple of people in the queue before me and as i was waiting for my turn, I couldn't help overhearing the conversation doing its rounds between the members of this family. There was a man and a woman (wife and husband, I assume), a girl about ten and a boy about eight. They were obviously waiting there for the rain to stop and were sitting just outside the ATM.
Their conversation was in Kannada (which I have traslated here)

Woman : What is that, everytime each person comes out he has something in his hand.
Man: Yes looks like paper.
Girl (with an annoyed look) : Arre, didn't you see, they come out with money.
Boy: Money? But there is nobody inside the room, who gives them the money?
Girl: Ayyo, there is some machine inside, that gives them money.
Boy (laughs) What are you talking like a manga (monkey) for?
Girl : Ok, then you tell me, how do they get that money.
Boy: That money is from their own pocket.
Girl: No, they put it in their pocket. Observe carefully, idiot.

I wish I could listen a little more but it was my turn to go in. And as I came out, I heard the boy whisper, ' she has no money in her hand'. To which the girl replied, like she knew it all, 'she put it in her purse'.

Something about the girl made me smile. Maybe her observant eyes, I don't know what. Infact, sometimes kids do fascinate me when they have that triumphant look on their faces. Like the time I saw this little girl in Forum. She was on the escalator heading downwards. And you could make out from the look on her face that she was feeling good and proud about the whole thing - she looked like a queen being carried everywhere in her palanquin. And kids continue to fascinate me with those expressions- be it in a quiz show on TV or when they win a cricket match in the neighbourhood or get a pat on the back for being a 'good boy'.
There is some kind of joy that these little expressions exude- joy that have an uncanny way of touching that cord in your heart.

23 Comments:

Blogger Vinayak said...

You'd make a great momma :)

Nice post, very touching. But you should've spoken to the little girl

5/11/2006 9:43 PM  
Blogger Aparna S Mallya said...

:) aw, gee, thnx, kini

ya, i shud have, i guess. but it was raining so heavily, i just wanted to get home asap.

5/12/2006 2:39 AM  
Blogger Suds said...

Very nice post. :)

5/12/2006 2:05 PM  
Blogger Shruthi said...

:D Sweet! I had not realized what it might look like, for people who have no idea what an ATM is! Why are you talking like a Manga - takes the cake :D

5/12/2006 9:02 PM  
Blogger Y? said...

hehe- how sweet :) Nice post.

5/12/2006 10:02 PM  
Blogger Wacky Vin said...

nice post.This is kind of information only blogs can cover.

5/13/2006 10:17 AM  
Blogger Aparna S Mallya said...

@ vijay, suds and Y?
Thnx :)

@shruti
lol, yeah, that was cute, I pressed back a smile.

@wacky
thnx. and yeah, blogs do cover info that most media don't.

5/13/2006 10:37 AM  
Blogger Jagan said...

Nice insight into the psyche of children..Keep them coming..

5/13/2006 9:53 PM  
Blogger Vasu the terrible said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5/14/2006 10:42 PM  
Blogger Vasu the terrible said...

Very interesting. Has happened to me so many times.. I had one very similar to your experience last year..

Here it is. Take a look when you have the time.

Monsoon Days!!!

Vasu

5/14/2006 10:43 PM  
Blogger Harsha said...

Reminds me of the first time I used an ATM, I had seen others use the ICICI cards and those have buttons on the sides of the screen. Mine was a Corp Bank card, and those are touch screen and I was pressing the number keys at bottom and then the security guard came in and told me how to operate .... :)

5/15/2006 1:49 AM  
Blogger Anu said...

Very cute...

5/15/2006 4:54 AM  
Blogger Swapna said...

I rememember when I was a kid, my dad used to take turns in taking me and my sister to the ATM. We would feel so proud when he would let us punch in the pin number and take the money out.

Nice post... :-)

5/15/2006 4:30 PM  
Blogger dharmu said...

um, remembered my first time at the ATM.
and apy, u will make a great mommy,
me say-me agree with kinimaam.

uh, amma, gee..that will b nice uh?
*wink*

5/15/2006 9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, girls are smarter than boys or may be this girl is just smarter.

5/16/2006 12:06 AM  
Blogger Aparna S Mallya said...

@garcia and anu
thnx!

@swapna, harsha n vasu,
thnx fr sharing yr experiences. harsha, i had exactly the same experience once and was helped by a handsome dude, next in the line. (yeah, i was already married by then. lol)

@koffee
yeah, u may just be right!

@mario
u bet we r!

@dharmu,
aw, *blush blush*

5/16/2006 9:17 AM  
Blogger dev said...

kids have their own waty of observing the world.. what seems to be obvious to us.. is actually not for them.. n then thy think something out of the blue which grown-ups cud never imagine.. n thats what amazes us..

5/18/2006 9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I want one of them machines, where I can go in empty hand and come out with money hands....

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

5/20/2006 3:25 AM  
Blogger Aparna S Mallya said...

@dev
yup!

@mel
don't we all?!!!!

5/25/2006 4:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I really enjoy reading your blog. You have a very good writing style that captures the reader's interests. I found myself going through your archives and enjoying everything I read.

I'm working on building an online women's forum catered to young, fun-loving and energetic girls (such as us, ofcourse!!). This site is aimed at being a girl's guide to everything under-the-sun. There will be a designated section for every kind of topic that we girls would like to read about. It's not going to be one of Cosmopolitan kind of magazine, where all you get are fashion and sex advice. This will have a more personal front. It will be written by girls for girls. Few examples of articles would be tips on travellign alone, tips on getting a good deal, dieting, even things like feng-shui and reiki. It can go as broad as we want to take it.

I have domain space and would like this site have more of a bloggers outlook. You can come up with your own topic themes - entertainment (art, theatre, culture), food, travelling within the city, shopping, etc. In other words, just your tips on how to make their day a great exprerience!

I'm open for more discussions anytime, so feel free to contact me!! I hope you will be as excited as I am on this new venture. Do get back to me with any ideas/questions/suggestions!

Looking forward to hearing from you soon, and hoping you will jump on the band-wagon!!

PS: Feel free to send this out to any other fun ladies you know might be interested!! :o)

Creatively yours,

Meenakshi
www.hookedonheat.com/pinkoranges

6/01/2006 8:42 AM  
Blogger Dev said...

Are u sure this isnt a small flshback from when you were a kiddo? :)

But still, a nice piece of conversation to overhear. Takes ur mind off waitin for da money. :D

6/13/2006 12:24 AM  
Blogger rajeev said...

I have often wondered when and why do we (at least some of us) loose that natural instinct to enjoy and taking pride as we grow up. Any ideas ??

7/03/2006 3:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

was a nice thing to read about

10/08/2006 5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home